The number one value and commitment of the Australian minerals industry is the safety and health of its workforce, where everyone goes to work and returns home safely.
Mental health is central to health and safety and can have an adverse impact on mining workers and their families.
The newly launched MineWell app is a great step forward in making help available to mining workers and their families who may be going through a tough time because of long hours, separation, isolation or financial stress.
MineWell is a preventative mental health and wellbeing app developed by the Minerals Council of Australia and Utility Creative to provide prevention, intervention and education in mental health and wellbeing for Australian mining workers and their families.
The app includes:
- Personalised scheduling for shift workers to promote better sleep and alertness whilst on shift
- Advice and exercises for improving sleep quality, staying active and positive and staying well during the COVID-19 pandemic
- Tools to take control through breathing, managing emotions and releasing tension
- A social connection tool to schedule anniversaries, birthdays, catch-ups with family and friends and other important events
- A crisis response tool for direct calls to MATES in Mining, Lifeline, Beyond Blue and other help services
- A Budget Well feature to set a target budget, savings goals and help track progress to reduce stress and anxiety related to financial management.
All personal information provided by app users remains private, is only stored on their device and cannot be accessed, viewed or gathered by others.
MineWell has been developed based on feedback from focus groups and user testing by Australian miners and is available free to all mineworkers and their families through the Apple App Store and Google Play.