Are you passionate about giving back to your community? Do you want to learn valuable skillsets that will further your career and the lives of Victorians now and into the future? We offer transformative employment opportunities to help you gain what you need in order for you, and Victoria, to succeed in years to come.
What we do
At the Victorian Government, we serve Victorians by delivering valuable services, providing evidence-based advice to policymakers, and developing innovative solutions for tackling challenging issues in a constantly changing environment. We work directly with communities and experts to find the best solutions
in many sectors, including healthcare, education, transport and infrastructure, environment, energy, and much more.
Who we look for
We are looking for inspiring and creative people to join us in building a brighter future for Victoria. Regardless of your background, we welcome any well- rounded, high achieving individuals who want to make a difference in Victoria.
Why the Victorian Government
We recruit the best by providing a rich and dynamic workplace that places people first. We value work-life balance, diversity and inclusion of people from all walks of life, as well as the positive impact
we make to the lives of Victorians. The Victorian Government was recognised
as one of Australia’s most attractive employers at the 2017 Randstad Awards, where it was awarded second place among private and public organisations.
Go behind the scenes with our industry career videos to find out more about some of Australia's most popular jobs.
1. Busting the public sector myth
We are much more than policy wonks and desk workers. Our people are inspirational, energetic and charitable individuals who want to make a positive difference. We employ everyone from a to z. Everyone can bring their unique skillsets to the public sector, all of which are valued and contribute to the Victorian Government’s diverse, inclusive and high performing workforce.
2. Choose your own fulfilling adventure
Choose your own career path. Our team members learn the skills they need
to progress upward and move across different departments and agencies to gain experience in the field.
- Our Graduate Recruitment and Development Scheme (GRADS) is a 12-month program where you can learn, develop, apply and maximise your soft and technical skills within three different departments.
- Our Youth Employment Scheme (YES) and Youth Cadetship Scheme (YCS) offer Victorians aged 15 to 24 who face employment barriers paid work experience to develop skills and gain qualifications. Not ready for the commitment but want to know what government is like? We have student and volunteer placements as well.
- Department of Justice and Regulation has a Professional Services Graduate Stream for those who are interested in pursuing a career in criminal justice.
- Interested in putting your university knowledge to the test? Our internships and work experience opportunities give you the opportunity to build your technical skills.
Ready to start your career? We have other entry-level general employment opportunities for you.
3. Be rewarded
Benefits include study assistance, salary packaging, comprehensive leave provisions, and career development initiatives.
4. Develop capabilities for the future
We are dedicated to helping you grow personally and professionally. From training courses to conferences, you will build a wide range of expertise from project management and data analysis to communication, problem solving and leadership.
5. Build technical skills
Are you a STEM graduate? The Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning offers a two-year Science Graduate Program that trains and develops you in science, natural resource management, agriculture, ecology, conservation, planning and related fields.
Interested in economics or accounting and finance? We have special GRADS streams for you.
6. Set yourself up for success
We offer coaching and mentoring programs, learning and development courses, networking opportunities and much more – all of which will give you the best chance to succeed in your career.
7. Balance your life and your work
We value work-life balance. All Victorian Government departments are committed to All Roles Flex, an initiative designed
to make sure you have a meaningful level of influence over when, where and how you work.
8. Make a difference in your community
Want a career that gives back to the community? Our work touches the lives of every Victorian and aims to create a better future for generations to come.
9. Bring your whole self to work
We value and respect everyone’s perspectives, insights and opinions.
We encourage people from diverse backgrounds, ages, cultures, genders, religions, and sexual orientation to join the Victorian Government. This is why we have support networks to champion diversity and inclusivity. These include:
- The Victorian Public Sector Pride Network (VPSPN), which champions LGBTI inclusion and equality in the workplace.
- Aboriginal Employment Strategies
and Staff Networks, which provide a culturally safe place for Aboriginal staff to connect and develop.
- The Victorian Public Sector Network for People with Disabilities, which represents the needs, interests, and concerns of our team members with lived experience of disability to ensure fair and equitable treatment.
Our differences, regardless of whether they are visible or not, are what makes us better equipped to serve our community.
10. Our values drive us
Public sector values are at the heart of everything that we do. They are: Responsiveness, Integrity, Impartiality, Accountability, Respect, Leadership, and Human Rights.