Closing:October 31, 2021
War Memorial Hospital (WMH) is a 3rd Schedule Aged Rehabilitation hospital, situated in Waverley, owned and operated by Uniting and part of the South Eastern Sydney Local Health District (SESLHD). Services are comprised of 24 hour inpatient care, Monday to Friday outpatient departments, several specialist community teams inclusive of Transitional Aged Care, Aged Care Assessment Team, Geriatric Flying Squad, Young Onset Dementia, 7 day a week day centre, 24 hour accommodation service for regional guests and the full range of hospital support services. It is set within beautiful tranquil grounds and is a well-supported team environment.
The Geriatric Flying Squad (GFS) is an award winning, multidisciplinary, rapid response team providing expert care and short term case management to older people living within their homes and in Residential Aged Care Facilities (RACFs). The main aim is to keep older people living at home safely and prevent unnecessary ED presentations.
An exciting opportunity has arisen for a suitably skilled, dynamic and aspiring clinician to fill a full time Clinical Nurse Specialist 2 (CNS2) position within the team. The role involves working collaboratively with and under the supervision of the Nurse Unit Manager of the GFS to assist in the provision of a service that is comprehensive, accessible, high quality and person-focused. As a member of the multidisciplinary team, the CNS2 undertakes comprehensive assessment, care planning and co-ordination of treatment for frail older people in a sub-acute community environment. The successful applicant will be provided with a mentored orientation programme and will be well supported by the GFS Clinical Nurse Consultant, Nurse Practitioners, Staff Specialist Geriatricians and WMH Executive.
The purpose of the GFS CNS 2 role is:
- To provide multi-disciplinary comprehensive geriatric assessment and case management of community older clients as part of the GFS
- To provide accurate and timely triage of referrals, facilitate evidence based interventions, prevent avoidable hospitalisations and access appropriate ongoing referral pathways for people experiencing a subacute functional decline in the community
- To maintain a high level of communication with other members of the multi-disciplinary aged care teams, with patients and their carers.
- Set and maintain high standards of patient care for the WMH GFS and all other networked services
- Provide expert clinical consultancy service to support nurses and other staff working in acute, sub-acute, RACF and domiciliary settings in rehabilitation principles and within the philosophy of person-centred care
- To ensure maximum possible integration of patient care occurs across all aspects of service delivery
- To monitor and manage the effectiveness of multidisciplinary care provided
- Plan appropriate strategies to introduce new procedures and clinical guidelines in response to evidence based clinical practice
- Identify key learning needs (including knowledge, skills and attitude) of nurses and other health professionals and participate in formal and informal dissemination of education programs
This is a permanent full time role working Monday-Friday.
- Current Registered Nurse registration with the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (AHPRA) List A, and also an unrestricted NSW Class C Driver’s Licence
- Relevant post registration qualification in Aged Care, Community, Rehabilitation or other and at least 3 years’ experience working in the specified clinical area
- Demonstrated advanced clinical nursing skills and the ability to coordinate short term case management of patients with complex needs
- Exercises extended autonomy of decision making and appropriate escalation as required
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills and demonstrated ability to work effectively within a multi-disciplinary team
- Understanding of the principles of Integrated Care within the community setting
- Demonstrated knowledge of Quality Improvement principles and awareness of community service requirements relating to accreditation and WHS processes
- Demonstrated experience with clinical documentation systems and Microsoft Office suite with demonstrated highly developed computer skills
Closing Date & Time:
Sunday 31st October, 11.30pm
Position Description: PD_GFS CNS_Sep 2021.pdf
Application Guide: WMH Application Guide with forms_Apr 2021.pdf
Genevieve Maiden, Allied Health & Integrated Care Manager
(02) 9369 0351
WMH operates under Uniting’s values and Code of Conduct which employees are committed to uphold. It is important that the people who work at Uniting have a sense of commitment to our purpose. We are an equal opportunity employer and we select staff based on merit and experience. Uniting supports an inclusive approach in the workplace.